Email hacking is a recurring cyber threat that can often lead to data theft and online scams. If notice any suspicious activity on your AOL account or if you feel that your account was hacked you will have to reset your password before you can make any change to secure your data. If you are not sure about the account details, the best thing to do is to delete the AOL account that was hacked. You can contact the AOL customer support number and ask for technical assistance to make sure you follow the correct steps while making the changes. You can also refer to the guidelines give below to permanently delete a hacked AOL account.
Steps to delete a Hacked AOL account
Step 1: Use the account recovery steps and reset your Password
- Go to My Account on AOL and click “Forgot Password?”
- Enter your AOL username/email address in the given field
- Type the words from the CAPTCHA image and click “Next.”
- Choose how you want to confirm ownership of your AOL email account
- If by phone, type your mobile number and enter the code sent by AOL
- If using an alternate email address or security question proceed accordingly
- Type a new password of at least six characters, retype to confirm and then “Done” to complete the password reset process.
Step 2: Remove the AOL username but not the Primary Account
- Open your web browser and visit the AOL My Account page
- Sign in with your AOL username or email ID and your new password.
- Enter the answer for your Account Security Question and press “Continue.”
- Select the Additional Screen Names box to find the AOL name to delete
- Click the small red color “X” icon to remove the desired AOL account.
Step 3: Go to the Billing options and remove the Paid AOL Account
- Go to the AOL My Account page once again and sign in to your account
- Respond to the account security question and press ‘Continue’ to proceed
- Choose “I Already Have a High-Speed Connection” and view the plans
- Double check and review your current AOL paid subscription details
- Click on the “Cancel My Billing” option located at the bottom of the screen.
- When the confirmation page opens, switch to a lower-cost plan.
- Choose an appropriate reason for canceling your subscription
- Click the “Cancel My Billing” option once again to convert your AOL account to a free account.
Step 4: Remove your Free AOL Account
- User your AOL username and password and sign in to My Account
- Enter the correct answer for the Account Security Question and proceed
- Select the option to indicate you already have a High-Speed Connection
- Click on “View Plans” and check your current subscription information
- Press the “Cancel” button to initiate the cancellation process.
- Carefully read through the text related to canceling your AOL subscription.
- Provide an appropriate reason for canceling the subscription and then press “Cancel AOL.”
You should keep in mind that when you permanently remove your AOL account, you will not be able to undo your action or restore your account later. If you need any assistance completing the steps above or if you want some clarification before you permanently delete the account you can call the AOL phone number and ask for help.